Friday, November 6, 2015

Creating Comic Strips


MakeBeliefComix
www.makebeliefcomix.com



This app was fun. However, I struggled sharing since you can not save the comic strip. Also, my virus protection software, Kaspersky, did not like the web site and considered the site a threat. I was able to create a comic on my iPad and perform a screen shot. I would say the site is simple and easy to navigate. Students in any grade would be able to create a simple cartoon quick and easy. The site guides you through every step. The major drawback is the inability to save the comic. This is enough to make me not want to use this software. There are ways around saving by creating screenshots and emailing the strip to yourself. You can even share to social media. I just see this as an issue since there are other options that would meet those needs. As in this strip, students can create scenes of stories, summary and factual mini strips. I did like the variety the site provided and the ability to create without registering. I still think registering is worth the time to be able to save work. Especially when students can no finish is a small amount of time. I would recommend this for high school students as emailing would be a great solution to the saving issue. However, elementary students may struggle with the emailing option.

ToonDoo
(www.toondoo.com)

Book Care


I really enjoyed ToonDoo. The site was easy to understand and navigate. I did have to spend some time learning the site. I did like how the images helped guide the user. For example seeing a word bubble was easy to understand. There were not complicated buttons and requirements to complete the comic. I could not access many of the characters. The site loaded slowly which was discouraging.  I do wish there were more options for pictures. I do not like having to keep going back to google to find what I am looking for. However, a great feature is the site saves your work. So the user can go back to a comic created. This could be appropriate for all grade levels. Students could use this as a summary of a concept. Maybe even a flow chart or process. I like the idea of creating one panel for each core subject per day and using this as an exit ticket (this might only work for elementary). I liked this app except for the limited amount of options. Those options come with a paid subscription. Overall this is a good site that I would recommend to others because it is easy to use.

Pixton
(www.pixton.com)


I was impressed with Pixton. The software gives you the option of beginner or advanced before creating your comic. This provides a comfort level for the user. I initially selected advanced and then decided I was not advanced. I selected the beginner and that limits your options; however, the software is easy to manage. I like this for the classroom because each student can be as creative as they desire or have guided help throughout the process. The software also allows a person to set up as a teacher with options for groups. This is all free. You can't beat free. My goal is to go back and create more advanced comics in the future. I would not use this in the primary grades but maybe with junior high and up. Students could create actual story boards as this site as many options even for the type of comic you are creating. The possibilities are endless on this site. Students can create stories, summaries, plots and even explain a concept. I would recommend this site for junior high and above because of the options.

In summary I would have to say I would pick different sites for different grade levels and different assignments. Or maybe show all to my students and allow them to pick the site for the final product. While Pixton was a bit more complicated I would have to say that is my favorite. I like the idea of options and the ability to save everything. In the case of elementary I might use ToonDoo for the sake of ease. In a pinch I would use Make Belief Comix but I do not like the idea of not being able to save. All of these could be used for all grade levels. My recommendations are merely that.....suggestions. Try them all and see which one fits you and your classroom/students the best. In the meantime, enjoy my book trailer, using Tellagami, featuring The Mighty Miss Malone.

Tellagami
(iPad app)




I must say this is one of my favorite apps ever. The possibilities are endless. Students can use this app to create summaries, autobiographies, and book trailers like I have done. The app loads quickly without any issues. The video is easy to create and save. Students at all age levels will be easy to use this app. The app is easy to understand and navigation is a breeze. I wish more options were available with the free version. Basically, you get a few hair and clothing options with the free version. Students will have fun creating aviators resembling an image of themselves or a random person. I would recommend this app for classroom use. Mainly because the ease of use and flexibility of application in the classroom.

5 comments:

  1. My thought for not being able to save on MakeBeliefComix was to have the kids create a storyboard with exactly what they are planning on creating before they even get on the website. Hopefully, this will help them finish the actual comic strip in one day. I also had issues with ToonDoo loading. I thought it was just our district bandwidth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. In order to decide which program to use, one must determine what age group of children you would be working with to be able to choose the program that is most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comics were colorful and engaging. Your assessment of the different programs was helpful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked Pixon, it was easy to use. ToonDoo gave me some issues as well, so I was a bit frustrated with it too. I like Kaylas' idea of creating a story board for Make Beliefs Comix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your pacing and tone of voice for your Tellagami. It might be cool to make a digital bookshelf with a bunch of Tellagami booktalks.

    ReplyDelete